Saturday, January 23, 2010

Words are living

Post 2. Sitting at the table this sunny afternoon, enjoying talking to my husband, relishing the full feeling of a really nice lunch consumed at leisure*.


So he's thinking of a blog, about books and writing, and the process of writing and being an editor. Okay. I do all those things.

But then, then he says -- you could write about food writing and the cookbooks you read all the time. (He carefully does not use the word 'obsessive', for which I've grateful.) And of course, I'm hooked.

Fancy a few wanderings into why? Why are some writers interesting and others a little cloying? I don't pretend to know the answer, but I'll come along to have a look. Why do we get crazy about apostrophes? They sure'ly do'nt count, do they?

So I have accepted my part in this challenge, which is all about reading and writing and what goes on in between. And if you're lucky, there will be lots of cookbook recommendations. Mmm.

Bev

* Take two slices of good ciabatta, drizzle them with olive oil and rub them with garlic and chopped parsley. Then grab a handful of the minced pork you're about to use to make meatballs (the tomato sauce simmering on the back of the stove), add some cooked grated carrot, onion and lemon zest, a pinch of chopped garlic, some salt. Form into patties, and fry nicely in a little pan. Toast the bread, layer it with the hot little patties, a dab of homemade aioli and a slice of a tomato from the garden. My, my!

Serve with thick carrot and cucumber sticks, and plenty more aioli for dipping. Beatific serenity will result.

No comments:

Post a Comment